Monday, February 25, 2008

Dealing With Mom-in-Law

This is the first time and probably the last time that I will say something about my life with my mom-in-law.Compared to other wives' complains about their mom-in-law,I think I got more luck.Mine, she's more of a big help to me than a pain in the ass.

Mostly once every week she invites us for a dinner in their house and 2-3 times every weekdays she volunteers to pick up my son in school.It's her car I use to practice and learn how to drive( it was her suggestion ). She cooks well. She offers to do clothes repair(she has an electric sewing machine)like replacing a broken zipper or adjusting oversized pants to make the leg length fit my size which is shorter than the european standard S.Aside from that,she also gives some helpful advices on how to remove stains on different fabrics and which products are effective for cleaning specific dirts on specific material( teakwood,tiles,carpet etc.)

If compared to my own mother, I would say my husband is lucky to have a mother like her.Well, just a little summary about my mother:she does not really know how to cook and she was always busy earning money that she had no more time guiding us.Being born as a middle child in a big family I always got into trouble.Dealing with older or younger siblings got me stuck in between.In every trouble,I was always the one to blame.When having a dispute with my older brother or sister,I got no right to defend or else I'd be disrespectful...with younger siblings,I got blamed if they cry or got hurt while playing because I was in charge to keep an eye of their safety.Anyway,those were the reasons why I'd say I got more luck having a mom-in-law who is very helpful and supportive

But she also got some "defects" that I would say are not THAT much to be bothering me. Like my mom,she also has a voice that carry from Belgium to the Philippines.She can't control it once she starts talking.And she really said what's on her mind or how she feels.Like last week on a Friday,she called me up to tell me that she was there in school to pick up Matt but the school was closed because of the "Journée pédagogique" and she blamed me for not telling her that there's no class.I told her (in french) that I thought she knew about it since she was the one who picked up Matyu in school that Thursday and normally the teacher informed those who pick up the kids either orally and was also written on the board...She said she did not pay attention of what's written on the board and she did not care to talk to the teacher...I just replied " what more can I say?" Then she answered back in a sarcastic way: "Well,I'm just wasting my time here in school for nothing.Then she hanged up on me. After that I felt guilty but what can I do? I was assuming she knew about it but she was really very mad that my explanation was not enough to calm her down.Anyway,we met that Sunday and did talk like nothing happened.

Lesson I've learned: Sometimes you have to be the one to make an effort to understand more than to be understood.It usually saves you from a never-ending argument that might eventually end up in bad terms.

Here's a useful link for those who really have a hard time dealing with their mom-in-law. Good luck!

0 comments: