Thursday, June 26, 2008

Getting Out of Economic Bondage

With almost everything commercialized, someone needs to earn money to pay for everything...electricity,water,food etc etc. The list goes on.We have become dependent on money to sustain our everyday life as if we live a life that revolves around money and its influence. As a result people experience poverty and misery.


When I was 5 years old I thought everything was free and available whenever I needed anything. When I was hungry I asked for food and there it was given. Then I turned 6 and had to go to school.My mother had to give me a coin that I did not know for what use.I was told I had to give it in return for a snack and a drink.And I started wondering why we have to do that.After school I wander around our neighborhood to spot for ripe fruits on trees.Then all I need was to ask permission to climb on their tree to get some then share my harvest to the generous owner.I did that "climbing trees hobby" until I was 14 and got told "Ít's inappropriate for a girl to climb on trees like a monkey". I became conscious when they say 'my panty is showing off.But anyway,I minimized my climbing activities to concentrate more on my school activities and home chores.Life as I see in my teenage years became more complicated.

That was my experience years ago.Now that I am married and have kids,life gets more and more complicated especially with the newer and newer technology that offers almost everything you want in return for your fortune and hard earned money.One thing I learned.We only have these basic needs : food and water, clothing, shelter. The rest of the other things which consume a lot of money are mostly miscellaneous bills that add up to become the pricey "liked or wanted items" that you can REALLY LIVE WITHOUT.


It's not easy to get out from the bondage of money where each citizen of a country is always under economic control of these big-time businessmen and politicians.Capitalism has long been introduced in many countries starting from the western world and spreading to the developing countries and most people engaged in businesses just socialize for the sake of business. As they say: "Nothing personal, just doing business." That's the few things I don't like about businessmen... you cannot be sure of their sincerity... as the term goes- they are usually business-minded and always go for money and profit.

I don't fully blame these bussinessmen and capitalists. I understand that it's their goal in life and so they have to go for it no matter how much it had to cost for other people and how much other people had to suffer to do manual labor to obtain their products.

The only solution to get out of this economic bondage and to be free from poverty is to realize first that all these material things beyond your needs which are for sale are just decorations of life-- creating temptations to motivate people to work harder.It's their choice to be tempted or not. To be free from poverty is to know what poverty really is and to realize we can do simple things to get out from poverty -- if we really think we are poor.As long as you still meet the basic needs everyday, you are not poor. Poverty is just in the mind.And money is not the basis to measure poverty and richness. As long as you are capable of doing something to provide your basic needs, you are still free to choose to live a life dependent of the economy that big businesses controlled or live an independent life free from the dictations of the society.

To get out of the economic bondage is to learn ways to be independent from the outside supply-- meaning you have to learn to produce and sustain your needs-- from food to clothes to shelter.Food is the most important and the solution is to plant in your garden.I guess for the rest you can figure out a way to solve your needs.This process has to be done slowly but surely you will see the sweet fruits of your labor.

0 comments: